This is just poetry. It won't save you, but it may locate you so that a rescue party can be sent out. — Dean Blehert

Saturday, May 9, 2009

OD'd on Poetry

Such a racket of feelings:
Clearly this poet lost her mommy.
That one lost his daddy.
This one needs a good cry.
That one is a good lay.
This one is hungry and that one
feels guilty that others are hungry.
This one likes having loved ones,
but isn't sure about always having them,
and if not, how that changes the feeling
of having them. That one is gaga
about something I never heard of before,
but it's purple, and I think
it's some sort of flower. That one
would like to break windows until
everyone (or whover THE SYSTEM is)
knows that he is not one of THEM
and to have THEM admire him for it,
but not too much. These poets
could be anyone, but significantly,
Ah! SIGNIFICANTLY so.

[Note: One way to read this poem is to treat it as notes taken at a poetry reading, where each line or two describes one of the readers and also a popular type of current poetry, reducing it to its basic communication.

For example, many poets, usually young, sexy women all in black, including short skirt and panti-hose, intone in husky voice what amounts to "I'm so hot--make love to me!" (As the poem says, "that one a good lay." And any number of poems basically say "I've lost my mommie" or "I've lost my daddy." The "rebel" seems to be slinging his words as if they were bricks aimed at the establishment's windows, but he seems to expect those he is addressing (and tends to lump in with the establishment) to admire all this, but he doesn't want to much admiration, since that's selling out -- and all this comes across in every word and every gesture, all his push-pulls against the world.

As the poem says, these various postures are not restricted to poets/artists, but poets make a bigger thing of them, puff them up with fancy language. All I've done is stripped away the added ornamentation that most people mistake for poetry.

I've added this long comment, because I've found that, while the above poem is immediately clear to most people who've hung out in poetry circles, it may be obscure to those who have not. And also because I like the sound of my voice on the page -- can you hear it? How?]
________________________________

Dean Blehert
Blogs:
http://deanotations.blogspot.com (short poems)
http://dearreader08.blogspot.com (essays and longer poems)
New book (Deanotations, Volume 1) available at http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/deanotations-volume-one/4649669
WWW.BLEHERT.COM

No comments: